Monday, August 24, 2009

"O.K."?

Dear Friends,

One of the most enjoyous (is that a word?) things that I have experienced while here on Crete, is meeting new people, and them sharing many of their life’s experiences with me. One of the nicest couples that I have met here on Crete is a young man, Gunter, and his lovely girlfriend, Ute, both of whom are from Germany. Each evening for the last few nights, Gunter and I have met at the little taverna down by the beach – it belongs to Popi Mavraki...and, even though there are no signs identifying it as such, I just call it, “Popi’s Taverna”.

Gunter and I discuss many topics – among them: Greek language, Greek culture, Greek music, and Greek history. It seems that Gunter and I have a mutual respect to stay away from religion and politics. This evening when Gunter and I were talking, the gentle north wind was reminding us that autumn was not far off, and Gunter asked me a question. “Robert, do you know why ‘O.K.’ is called, ‘O.K.’, in English?” I looked at Gunter. I really had no idea. I think that I had read somewhere how “O.K.” had entered into the English language, but, here, sitting before my friend, Gunter, I was completely unable to remember how. I was a little embarrassed. “No, Gunter, I don’t know what ‘O.K.’ means or how it entered the English language”, I said. Gunter had a pleasant smile and he shared it with me as he spoke, “Well, it represents an anagram from the words, ‘ola kala’ in Greek. Ola means ‘everything’ or ‘all’...and kala means ‘good’. So, ‘ola kala” means ‘everything is good’, or, ‘all is good’...or, all is ‘O.K’. - 'ola kala'!"

I couldn’t argue with Gunter’s logic. It sounded reasonable...it sounded logical...and it sounded rational. Actually, it sounded...”O.K.”!!!

Life is good! Or, life is ...O.K.!!!

Your Friend and Fellow “Silent Warrior”,


Bob Armistead

ABOVE PHOTO: My new friends from Germany. Ute is on the left. Gunter is on the right. I (Bob) am in the middle.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob, I love it! Wikipedia supports this idea, although they are unsure of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okay

Anonymous said...

Bob,

I'm 50 years old, but when I was 4 years old, my father was stationed in Iraklion. My mother and little sister joined him. My parents and I have enjoyed reading your whole blog!

Thanks so much!

Robert Lamb

Bob (Bobby) said...

Dear Robert,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you and your parents have enjoyed reading my blog...that makes it all worth while! After all, I am writing it just for people such as you and your parents!

Your Friend,

Bob Armistead

mac said...

Robert.What years were you and your parents at IAS?I seem to remember a Lamb when I was there?I was there 1963-65 and again 66-70.MAC papou1939@comcast.net

BOBBY.Just like last time you are doing a outstanding job of keeping all updated.The wife gave you some info on the signs around the bldgs you ask for.See u next year.

Unknown said...

Hi Bobby it´s me!
We are back in Germany and we had a lot of fun to read our story in your blog,hope you enjoy your days as we did the last days,so give the tropical a chance for a meal,i will send you these days some pictures to your e-mail.
Yassu!!!
Günter und Ute!

Bob (Bobby) said...

Hello Gunter and Ute! I am glad that you are safely back in Germany. I hope that you had a good flight. I am glad that you enjoy reading my blog. I will post a photo of both of you on my blog in a few days. I will look forward to seeing you next year here on the beautiful island of Crete!

Your Friend,

Robert

Unknown said...

Bob it is ok to enjoy yourself, relax, and enjoy the Cretan sun. But, uh, the rest of us are waiting diligently for your updates.... Jeesh, you'd think you were on vacation or something. :)

Ron Samson
Iraklion, 68-70