Tuesday, December 8, 2009

CRETE REUNION 2010

Dear Friends,

Late last year when Gary McPherson and I were exchanging E-Mails on Cretestock Yahoo Group, we both expressed a desire to meet on Crete during the summer of 2010. Since then, several others have also expressed an interest in joining Gary and me on Crete next summer for a little mini-reunion. In order to really get the ball rolling, Gary and I have selected a date during which the reunion will be held. Any of you who would like to join us are invited to join Gary and me for a little impromptu, spontaneous reunion on Crete beginning on Sunday, August 22, 2010 and ending Saturday evening, August 28, 2010. As it stands now, we will probably all meet in the little village of Amoudara which is just six kilometers west of Iraklion. Naturally, we will gather for lunches and dinners, and at least one trip back to the old base for a tour and perhaps even a picnic and an opportunity for a swim at the base beach, a trip into downtown Iraklion, and probably a trip back to Knossos. We may also plan some little side trips to St. Nikolaos, Chania, or Matala.

This reunion is not about the flight to which you were assigned, whether you were a career airman or a one-termer, if you were a dependent or not, what rank you held, or what job you performed while stationed on Iraklion Air Station. But, it IS all about a common love for Crete, Iraklion Air Station, wonderful memories of times past, and those with whom we were all so privileged to have served. Even though the changes to Crete have been monumental since we have all left, we must also face the reality that all of us have changed as well...not that we have just grown older, but hopefully we have grown wiser and much more appreciative of our collective past!

I recently returned from Crete on October 31, 2009 after a three month vacation there. While there I collected quite a bit of information relating to hotels and small apartment buildings in anticipation of the 2010 reunion. As I receive responses to this post, I will share the web site addresses, E-mail addresses, and other information pertaining to hotels, apartments, and airline booking information with you on Cretestock Yahoo Group and here on my blog, BOB'S THREE MONTH CRETAN ADVENTURE. However, I must emphasize that it will be the responsibility of each attendee to make his/her airplane reservations, and hotel or apartment reservations. I should also point out that the information I provide regarding hotels or apartments, should in NO way be construed or interpreted as an endorsement of any hotel or apartment.

If you are interested in joining Gary and me on Crete during August of 2010, please respond accordingly by posting a comment at the bottom of this entry. As I receive responses to this post, I will release additional information on this blog and on Cretestock Yahoo Group, regarding the reunion in 2010.

Take care, stay well, and let me hear from you.

Your Friend and Fellow “Silent Warrior”,

Bob Armistead
Charlie Flight
6931st. Security Group
Dec. 1968 – Aug. 1971

No comments: