Saturday, May 17, 2008

NEW PHOTOS FROM OUR PAST













Above left: Lion's Square (Morosini fountain) undergoing restoration.
Above right: Elefterias Square across from the Astoria Hotel; it used to be a nice park with lots of trees and bushes.











Above left: The view of the Aegean Sea as seen from the balcony of my substitute apartment (I am now in my originally reserved apartment.
Above right: Saint Minas Church











Above left: View of Market Street from the newer end of the street where many of the shops have more permanent store fronts.
Above right: View of Market Street as seen from the older end of the street.
(Note: They are in the process of paving all of Market Street)
















Above left: A typical street scene of one of the many narrow backstreets in downtown Heraklion.
Above right: A new Pizza Hut in one of the stately looking buildings in downtown Heraklion (This is progress?).















Above left: An old man watches me with a suspicious, yet a curious look.
Above right: Older men gather to sip strong Greek coffee and discuss the problems of the world as seen through their eyes.

















Above left: An old woman at a kiosk.
Above right: An old man asks for money.


I hope these photos will cause you to recall pleasant memories from our collective past.

Your Friend and Fellow "Silent Warrior",

Bob (Midget) Armistead




4 comments:

mac said...

Bob.Great photos,Keep them coming.Mac

Monica Laust said...

Bob,

Thanks for the photo posts do you mind if my wife uses some to show her elementary classes?

Daniel Laust - Prescott, Wisconsin

Anonymous said...

Daniel Laust - I would be flattered for your wife to use any photos that I post to show to her elementary classes. Your Friend, Bob

mac said...

MONICA,I was in Crete in 2006 and son and wife in 2007.Married to a gal from there.If you would like I could send you some from that time period.Bob's are the newest with the latest changes.You can contact me at papou1939@comcast.net...MAC